UPDATE: UND Student "Fighting for Life" after Fire Rescue by Roommate
Interested in learning more about fire sprinklers for university housing? Click here.
On March 16, 2014, a fire began in the kitchen of an off-campus house for the University of North Dakota. The fire began when unattendd cooking caught fire.
Matthew Heisler was home at the time of the fire, and his roommate Ryan Nelson was out for the night. When Nelson arrived home, he saw the flames and smoke, and rescued his roommate. Heisler did not have a pulse when Nelson pulled him from the fire, so Nelson performed CPR until his pulse returned.
Unfortunately, on Tuesday, March 18, 2014, Heisler died from his injuries. He had registered as an organ donor after his younger sister died from a heart condition, so his organs are going to help save sixty people.
The house did not have fire sprinklers.
In a similar accident, unattended cooking started a fire at Marist College in New York on March 19, 2014, only one day after Heisler died from his injuries. The fire was completely extinguished when a fire sprinkler activated.
Chief Christopher Maeder of the Fairview Fire District said, "This is an excellent example of how a sprinkler system in a building can save lives and property." There were no injuries in this fire and the damage was so minimal that it will soon be occupied again.