Students relocated after fire at Hampshire College dorm
Interested in learning more about dorm fire sprinkler installation? Click here.
AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) - Dozens of Hampshire College students are being relocated, following a dorm fire on Sunday afternoon.
College Spokesperson Elaine Thomas told 22News that dozens of students are being relocated.
The fire at Greenwich Dormitory Five around 4:30 P.M. forced out about 40 students. They were allowed to go back into the building to get their belongings, but were then either relocated to other campus housing or were put up in a hotel.
Thomas told 22News that no students were hurt, but one campus police officer was treated for inhaling smoke.
The building does have fire sprinklers, which helped to extinguish the flames before the Amherst Fire Department got there.
Assistant Amherst Fire Chief Lindsay Stromgren told 22News that investigators determined the fire started with some smoldering materials on a wooden deck outside one of the dorm apartments. The fire damage was confined to that one apartment, but there was some smoke damage to nearby units.
All of the units in the building, except for the one where the fire started, will be re-opened for students this week.
Story provided by: www.wwlp.com