On Friday evening the Asheville Fire Department was dispatched to 42 Westmore Dr. for a structure fire.
When crews arrived, fire was showing from the exterior of the apartment complex. Firefighters then made their way to an apartment and gained entry to find a smoke filled, unoccupied room.
The fire started in the bedroom, but was quickly extinguished by the sprinkler heads within the unit, minimizing fire damage.
Officials say statistics show that the installation of both smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system reduces the risk of death in a home fire by 82% and lessens fire damage.
The fire was ruled accidental.
wspa.com | Tags: residential fire protection, home fire sprinklers, high-rise fire sprinklers