Residential Kitchen Fire Extinguished with Fire Sprinklers

Posted: 10/17/2012

Brooklyn Park, MN kitchen fire extinguished by fire sprinklers before firefighters arrive

 nfpa.typepad.com

KTSP Eyewitness News reports that when Brooklyn Park firefighters were called to a home kitchen fire at 3:15 a.m. Monday, they found that the fire was out. The firefighting had already been done for them by the home's fire sprinkler system. Osseo firefighters also responded to the scene.

NFPA statistics reveal that cooking caused 44% of reported home fires, 16% of home fire deaths, 40% of home fire injuries, and 15% of the direct property damage in 2010. According KTSP the MN State Fire Marshal's Office reports that 49% of fires in 2010 were caused by cooking.

Without the presence of the fire sprinkler this early morning fire could have resulted in death or severe injuries to the occupants. According to NFPA, more than one of every three (36%) of fatal fire victims never wake up before being injured. The occupants of this home were able to evacuate safety and suffered no injuries.

Interested in learning more about residential fire protection?  Click here.

Resource Center
News and Publications