Third Quarter 2014 Newsletter
Third Quarter, 2014
In the third quarter newsletter, we will be reviewing a project that allowed us the opportunity to think outside the box. F.E. Moran Fire Protection worked on a project that changed scope midway through the construction of the building. Because of the change, the standard installation wouldn't cut it. A traditional water tank wouldn't work with the new specifications, so, for the first time, we used a fiber water tank. It provided the ability to bring the tank up piece by piece and assemble it.
We hope that this newsletter will inspire others to find solutions by going outside their comfort zones and try something unfamiliar. It might not always work out seamlessly, but, at the very least, you have learned something new.
President, F.E. Moran Fire Protection Northern Illinois
President, F.E. Moran Fire Protection National
When a once defunct property was reinvigorated, F.E. Moran Fire Protection set out to conquer the challenge of designing and installing fire protection in a partially finished building with a new fire protection plan. Not any fire protection would do. An innovative solution was needed to meet the new requirements.
A Dream Realized
In 2004, the Waterview Tower broke ground. It was intended to be a mixed-use, 90-story tower that would house Shangri-La Hotel and luxury condos. However, the high-rise dream went into foreclosure in 2008 after reaching only 28 floors.
In July, 2011, the dream was reinvigorated when Related Midwest acquired the property and began building a 60-story luxury rental property with 504 units. The ground level was built with restaurants and retail space and the apartments had access to residential amenities on the 28th and 29th floors including an indoor pool, sun deck, fitness center, theater, game room, and party rooms. When it was time to install the fire protection, they called F.E. Moran Fire Protection. They not only installed the fire protection, but also a pioneering fiber water storage tank on the 26th floor.
Everyday fire sprinklers save lives. This is a compilation of a sampling of the fire events in the third quarter of 2014 in which people and property were saved by fire sprinklers.
Plano, TX | July 8, 2014
Plano fire crews were called to a balcony fire that was caused from a malfunctioning grill. Luckily, the apartment was fitted with fire sprinklers. A sprinkler head on the balcony activated and extinguished the fire before crews arrived.
Prescott, AZ | July 9, 2014
Firefighters were called to the home with a report of "flames and smoke showing." When they arrived, the fire was out already. Homeowner Leslie McDonald said, "I think that every house should have sprinklers!" The fire had started in the garage. A classic car, collectable remote control airplanes, and an SUV were also in the garage, and, because of the sprinklers, were completely undamaged. The McDonald family did the math and realized the $8k fire sprinkler system in their home saved them $600k in contents that could have been lost in the garage fire.
Des Moines, IA | July 18, 2014
A couple were cooking on their stove when a fire sparked. The apartment's fire sprinklers activated and extinguished the flames, greatly reducing property damage.
Sidney, Australia | July 20, 2014
Fire crews were called to the fire at 7pm. The fire began in a recycling plant. By the time fire crews arrived the fire sprinklers had activated at extinguished the flames.
Rancho Santa Fe, CA | July 24, 2014
Firefighters responded to a call for a Rancho Santa Fe garage fire on July 24. By the time they arrived on the scene, a single sprinkler head had activated and extinguished the fire.
Charleston, SC | August 2, 2014
A single sprinkler head suppressed an apartment fire in Charleston, SC. Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said, "Without the fire sprinkler system, we would have had a substantial event, damaged multiple apartments, and displaced numerous families. The fire sprinkler system was part of the critical life safety components of this building. In this case, a single fire sprinkler head operated and controlled the fire event until the fire department could arrive and mitigate any remaining hazards. Management is working to repair water damage."
Tuscon, AZ | August 19, 2014
A residential fire was triggered when a microwave caught fire. Luckily, the home had fire sprinklers installed. A single fire sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire.