Microwave starts fire at assisted living center

Posted: 12/2/2013

Interested in learning more about fire protection for assisted living facilities?  Click here.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. --- The red wreath at Clay Fire is lit up with another while bulb after a fire broke out at an assisted living center.

A microwave caught fire Friday morning, sending smoke billowing out of Wood Ridge Assisted Living.

Fire officials are thanking a working sprinkler system for saving lives.

"Without a sprinkler system a fire doubles in size every thirty seconds, so without a sprinkler system it could have been a lot worse," Battalion Chief Robert Wood said.

All of the residents were safely evacuated without any major issues.

Story provided by:  www.abc57.com

Resource Center
News and Publications