Illinois Fire Marshal Warns Against Alternative Heating Sources
Interested in learning more about fire protection for homes? Click here.
"This is very dangerous time for fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. During this rough winter it is imperative to remind the public of the proper use of space heaters and other ways to stay warm," said State Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis. "Although space heaters provide heating, they could also bring major safety concerns if adequate safety precautions are not followed."
In Illinois in 2012, 67 home fires were caused by alternative heaters and 67 other fires were linked to chimneys and fireplaces. The OSFM recommends giving heating equipment three feet of space between the device and anything that can burn, including people. It is also important to make sure there is adequate overhead clearance for space heaters..
The OSFM also reminds residents about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by many furnaces, fireplaces and kerosene space heaters. It is important to keep all systems and fireplaces well maintained and clean. If a kerosene space heater is used, make sure it is vented to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Illinois Carbon Monoxide Detector Act (430 IL CS135) requires that every dwelling unit shall be equipped with at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm in an operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Every structure that contains more than one dwelling unit shall contain at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm in operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Working smoke alarms must be placed at a maximum of 15 feet from sleeping quarters, at least one on each level (including basements).