Madison Fire is Investigating Code Regulations After a Carbon Monoxide Scare
Madison, WI -- The Madison Fire Department is questioning carbon monoxide code regulations after dozens went to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.
During a wedding at Salon Centinela, dozens of guests were sent to the hospital on Saturday night. A generator was brought inside the venue. It caused carbon monoxide levels to increase to 405 parts per million.
"When you're at 400 parts per million of carbon monoxide, within a 2 to 3 hour period, it can be toxic to the body," said Lt. Ron Blumer.
The wedding guests were sent to UW Hospital. The hospital confirmed that 45 people were at the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.
"People have headaches. You Could end up having fatigue, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and once you start getting up more, over a prolonged period of time, then that's when you could start having toxic levels where people could die," said Blumer.
The fire crews saw that the CO2 was from the generator, removed it, and cleared the scene. They are now investigating the code regulations.
"It's up to our code enforcement officers and our fire investigation and inspection bureaus and they will review every call we go on if there's any concerns for compliance, and so they will be in contact with the facility and making sure everything is in compliance with the city," Lt. Blumer said.
The venue reported that they are in compliance with fire sprinkler and alarm codes. They did not give permission to the wedding band to bring in a generator.
You Might Also Like...